Ya know, there’s been a lot of back and forth among folks on either side of the aisle concerning Voter ID laws making their way into state houses around the country. With the massive Republican win in 2010, control of state government swung hard right. And using those majorities and governorships, the GOP is passing laws that would restrict voting. Now, the restrictions are common sense and are reasonable. Basically, you have to be a citizen. Crazy talk I know, but nothing will get a bunch of statists up in arms like a good government regulation!
But serious. Think about voter id laws and the reaction to ’em. It goes back to the days when polling places, cities, counties and even entire states tried to prevent black people from voting. For no other reason than they were black. We’re stuck there. We can’t escape from there. Talk about requiring some burden of proof and the immediate reaction is the usual “Tea Party is racist!” meme.
But here is something that will REALLY get the Left up in arms. If we’re gonna restrict voting, restrict it on the basis of your Federal Tax burden.
Add up all the money an individual contributes to the federal government. Then add up all the money that an individual receives from the federal government. And if that the difference is a net contribution to the government, give ’em a ballot. If that person is a net consumer, they lose their privilege to vote.
The United States was built on the premise that individual liberty is sacrosanct . That the will of the mob does not trump the rights of the individual. Well, we’ve lost that vision in today’s America. We have a voting population made up of more than 50% net tax consumers.
More than HALF of Americans receieve more money from the government than they pay into it.
More than half.
And that number is getting larger and larger every year. We are finding an ever shrinking population that is being forced to contribute to the lifestyle of citizens who refuse to step up and giver their fair share.
heh heh – I Kill me!
These people are not contributing. They are not pulling their weight. They are directly at blame for the financial condition of this nation.
And it will just continue to get worse. As the people on the bubble begin to realize that if they just elect a politician who will promise to move that number from 51% consumers to 53%, THEY too will not have to contribute. Food, shelter, cell phones and college for me please.
It’s not hard to imagine a condition where, in time, 80% of America will reply on the remaining 20%.
But if the moocher class can’t vote, they can’t continue to elect politicians who are only looking for power. Who will only give more and more to the folks who elect them in exchange for electing them. Want a 30 hour week? Elect me! Want mandatory double pay for overtime? Elect me!
Free health care? Me.
Free food? Me.
Free house? Me.
Remove that ability and there won’t be those politicians.