By Tuesday, if you believe the deadline Biden has for his report, Obama is going to receive a report on how to curb violence. By the way, wouldn’t it be nice if the President could demand as timely a report on such things as budgets? Anyway, the report ….
We all have ideas on what we might like to see in the report. It goes all the way from ban every single gun in America to posting armed guards at every single school.
But I think that reasonable people understand a couple things:
- Gun violence in America is heading down.
- There really is very little need for assault weapons and large capacity clips.
- The most recent string of mass shootings involved mentally retarded individuals.
- That allowing our 6 year old kids to play with toy guns makes a parent a bit queezy.
- Hollywood’s obsession with violence creates a “culture of violence”.
- Same for video games.
But no one likes to hear that when the target of blame falls on them or theirs. The NRA doesn’t wanna hear that guns kill people. And the parents of children with learning disabilities don’t wanna hear that the shooters were crazy. Parent’s don’t wanna think that there is anything wrong with cops and robbers or cowboys and indians.
And Hollywood doesn’t wanna hear that their movies cause violent reactions:
Listen, I don’t know if violent movies cause kids to fantasize about violent acts and that those fantasies then are played out. But I DO know that if Hollywood feels they can wade into matters politic then they are certainly fair game when it comes time to lay blame.