Found this while reading through Say Anything:
- Hey, dude, that’s not cool!
- It’s not fun to take people’s candy.
- This is my candy. I worked hard for it.
- He stole my candy already!
- You can’t split candy ’cause that’s not right. That’s HIS candy.
- I’m gonna call the police!
Notice that the kids felt that this was theft. Taking something from them that they had earned was “not right.”
It’ll be years before these kids learn that when a monkey does it they can call the cops. But when the government does it, the GOVERNMENT calls the cops.
These kids are learning what legal plunder looks and feels like.